DesignBuilder v3 introduces some important new features as well as widespread consolidation of existing functionality.
Expected Version 3.2 features:
- EnergyPlus v7.2
- Detailed HVAC template wizard allows fully connected systems to be loaded to the model
- More ASHRAE 90.1 and LEED options including Appendix G constructions and outline baseline HVAC systems
- Improved Simple HVAC simulations with options for humidity control, heat recovery and economiser as well as faster autosizing
- Change-over Mixed mode now available for all HVAC and Natural ventilation model options
- Simulate phase change materials (PCM) in detail
- Fanger PMV control
- Constant CoP chiller
- More flexible heated floors and chilled ceilings
- EnergyPlus database of 110 air-cooled chillers added to existing water-cooled chillers - total count of 274 chillers
- Latest v28 IGDB glass database and option to import Glass data from WINDOW6 files directly into DesignBuilder Pane dialog
- Custom crack templates can be defined for Calculated natural ventilation
- Infiltration can be scheduled
- Many fixes and improvements, especially in Detailed HVAC
- Version 3.0 features:
- Detailed HVAC with access to a wide range of EnergyPlus HVAC systems through an easy to use diagrammatic interface.
- Radiance daylighting calculations with integrated graphical daylight distribution contour plots and reports for LEED, BREEAM and Green Star.
- EnergyPlus v7.0 with significant speed improvements over previous versions.
- SBEM v4.1.d
- Sunpath diagram option on the Visualisation screen
- Various improvements in the BIM import and the modeller
- v20 of the International Glazing Database (IGDB).
- Revit plugin which speeds up the data transfer process from Revit to DesignBuilder. Supports 32-bit and 64-bit Revit 2011, 2012 and 2013. .
Version 2.4 features:
- Compact HVAC now provides access to EnergyPlus boiler, chiller and fan part-load performance characteristics
- DesignBuilder EnergyPlus IDF output is now much more readable through use of user-defined zone names instead of numeric references used previously
- In Compact HVAC mode DesignBuilder outputs EnergyPlus-calculated plant energy consumption so DesignBuilder energy consumption outputs now agree with reports obtained directly from EnergyPlus
- Uses SBEM v4.1 for 2010 UK and Ireland Part-L and EPCs
Version 2.3 features:
- Uses EnergyPlus v6 which runs noticeably faster than previous versions
- Simple glazing where glazing systems can be defined using basic manufacturers data (including or excluding frame)
- Improvements in CFD robustness
- Many EnergyPlus summary outputs such as ABUPS reports can be generated and viewed from within DesignBuilder
- EnergyPlus daylight factor reports
- UK and Ireland SBEM 3.5.a approved
- Supports pay as you go licensing for SBEM EPC users
- Portuguese IEE module
- Ongoing improvements to gbXML import including full support for imported shading surfaces
- Embodied carbon outputs
Version 2.2 features:
- UK and Ireland SBEM 3.5.a approved
- CFD age of air and LMA data
- CFD numerical output
- Boolean geometry (part 1)
- Zone merging dialog means that use of holes to merge zones is not required
- Fan energy consumption can be modelled more accurately in Simple HVAC
- Exterior lighting energy modelling
- Lighting gains can be defined as W/m2/100 lux avoiding modelling errors that can occur with the other 'W/m2' lighting option when illuminance requirement is changed
- LIDER export works under Windows XP for Spanish certification
Version 2.1 features:
- EnergyPlus v4
- Substantial improvements and stabilisation in CFD and related documentation
- New site licensing system using network license server
- Latent gains can be specified for equipment
- Improvements in gbXML import
- German language interface option
- LIDER export for Spanish certification (free for all EnergyPlus license holders)
Version 2.0 features:
- 3-D Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) allows you to analyse the airflow and comfort distribution inside and outside of buildings. A link to EnergyPlus simulations provides simulated surface temperatures and natural ventilation flow rates as boundary conditons to the CFD simulations.
- CAD BIM import from Revit, ArchiCAD, Microstation and other CAD software supporting the gbXML interoperability standard.
- Mixed mode natural ventilation to ensure HVAC and natural ventilation do not ocur simultaneously.
- New HVAC modelling options include humidity control and baseboard heaters (convective and radiant). Further significant improvements in HVAC will be phased in over v.2 development cycle.
- EnergyPlus 3.1.
- Option to edit data at opening level allowing different window and door types on a single surface
- Assemblies for modelling CFD objects and solar shading systems.
- More flexibility in the cutting tool - in particular blocks can now be cut flush with other surfaces of the block
- Option to include/exclude zones from the analysis - useful for modelling certain parts of a building only.
- More configurable results display gives better control over simulation output and an option to save result templates
- Display of simulation results for individual surfaces and openings.
- Green roofs including irrigation control.
- Option for radiosity-based DElight daylight simulation integrated within EnergyPlus thermal simulation
- Parametric cooling design calculations and simulations.
- SBEM 3.4.a for UK and Ireland. This is required for lodging EPCs from 10 May 2009 onwards.
See also Revison history